(Continued from Previous Page)WHY THE CONSERVATIVE "TALK" AND "WALK"
2) Instituting international gag orders which prevent doctors who work for organizations receiving U.S. government funding from even mentioning the legal medical options available to women: This creates a climate of mistrust between patient and doctor; facilitates the continuance of ectopic and other life-threatening pregnancies; discourages access to full pre-natal services; denies the sexually active contraceptives which prevent both pregnancies and diseases -- diseases which lead to fetal injury or death in utero during pregnancy; fosters unwanted pregnancies; fosters disease.
3) Requiring "chastity-only until marriage" morality education in public schools and government social programs, rather than medical sex education based on principles of human health: This creates a climate in which discussions of reproductive health and responsible behavior are restricted to abstinent/celibate single individuals only; denies health, contraceptive, and disease-preventative information to sexually responsible singles; fosters disease and unwanted pregnancies among members of this group -- a majority in a great many cases, and a substantial minority in all cases.
4) In the case of our Attorney General and many of the religious fundamentalist ilk, classifying all oral contraceptives (except for very high dose, and thus very high health risk, pills) and most medical devices, as 'abortifacients': This creates a climate in which employing responsible contraceptive measures, such as taking the pill or using an intrauterine appliance, is seen as no better morally than using abortion as a birth control device; fosters unwanted pregnancies; encourages abortion.
5) Criminalizing or opposing the free distribution of condoms, dental dams, and other prophylactics that prevent disease and pregnancy in public schools or government social programs: This creates a climate in which access to contraceptives and disease preventatives is dependent upon the financial resources of the sexually active person, and his/her access to private sector sources of these items; fosters unwanted pregnancies; foster disease.
6) Allowing medical insurance companies which cover prescriptions for sexual performance products like Viagra to refuse to cover oral contraceptives and other contraceptive devices which prevent pregnancy. (Creates a climate in which male sexual activity is increased or enhanced at little or no cost to insured men, at the same time it creates a climate in which female contraceptives must be obtained through an off-plan physician at personal cost to insured females; fosters unwanted pregnancies.)
ARE COMPLETELY OUT OF SYNC
That is, what conservatives hope to achieve by claiming to be pro-life, while politically supporting policies which increase unwanted pregnancies, abortions, and disease:
The single greatest determinative factor for predicting the socioeconomic status of a woman during her lifetime is the age at which she bears her first child. (It does not matter whether or not this child is born healthy enough to survive to maturity or adulthood.) All of the policies outlines above have the most dramatic impact in the community of the young. This is intentional. If conservatives can implement these policies, they can create a society in which the number of unintended pregnancies (and the resulting births -- regardless of the health of the offspring) skyrocket. This serves two conservative purposes:
1) To create a permanent underclass of females and their offspring.
2) To create a large tax base paying regressive payroll taxes, enabling tax reductions for the very rich in the marginal brackets.
It is most helpful when analyzing conservative policy initiatives to look to the science on the issue. The science on this issue (unwanted pregnancies and births) is clear: the policy pursued by conservatives has been proven to create this large permanent underclass and wide regressive tax base.
The conservatives' political appeal to religious fundamentalism is just a cover, a "shill", to obscure their actual goals. For confirmation, one need only examine religious scripture and tradition to establish that abortion is neither treated as "murder" (the sin of taking a human life) in the bible, nor was it "murder" (the sin of taking a human life) in religious tradition, until such time as women began to agitate for equal protection and equal rights of citizenship under the law.
The pro-life movement was a reactionary response to women's equality then, and it remains so now.
Now, a discussion of THESE issues would be interesting.
On the other hand, the piece that you found wasn't interesting, just the stream of consciousness musings of either the unpardonably self-centered, the sadly intellectually flawed, or the unbelievably simple.
Just think about this: The person who wrote this (or as I suspect, the child who wrote this) was either so stupid or so brainwashed that he thought he was arguing the PRO-abortion position...
Obviously, not the brightest bulb in the chandelier.
TammyNEXT: THE DEMOCRATS.COM VOTER PLEDGE
WebMistress of BBBR