Hidden in the massive campaign of misinformation about the recounts in Florida is this kernel of truth: Al Gore received more votes that George W. Bush in Florida, and was chosen by the citizens of this country as our President.NEXT: AL GORE PRESIDENTIAL BIRTHDAY SHOW
That truth has been silenced by the Republicans and the corporate media, even when the facts scream to make themselves heard. Just this week, the Miami Herald recounted all of the 64,248 undervotes and found that Gore gained as many as 1,323 votes for a victory margin of 393. But that core fact was buried under a distorted headline reading "Review Shows Ballots Say Bush."
The other hidden story inside the Miami Herald story is that the undervotes are dwarfed by the 120,000 overvotes that are still being counted. If early projections hold, this could show a Gore win by as much as 50,000 votes.
In the end, the truth will come out: that Republicans committed the worst crime against democracy in American history.
Of course, when that truth is revealed, the Republicans will say: "Stop whining! Get over it!"
We will NEVER get over the theft of the Presidency and the corruption of our democracy - and we make no apologies for our anger at what has been taken from us.
But what can we do about it?
Unfortunately, as long as the Republicans control all three branches of the federal government, we cannot impeach the Commander-in-Thief or prosecute his henchmen.
Here's what we CAN do: exercise the power that is in our own hands, namely the power to sweep Republicans out of office in the next election.
From your passionate e-mails and other feedback, we know that this is what YOU want to do. So let's all do it together, and show the Republicans exactly how we plan on getting over this.
Here is our plan:
1. Take the Democrats.com Voter Pledge: "In the next election, I pledge to register, persuade, and deliver as many Democratic voters as I possibly can." Forward the pledge to all of your Democratic friends by entering their e-mail addresses in the designated box. Build your own personal list of friends and family who are also outraged at the theft of the Presidency, and we will help you ensure that the people on your list are registered and VOTE.
2. Join a local chapter of Democrats.com: We've created chapters to help you connect with fellow activists in your area to organize local protests, media events, and voter mobilization efforts. If you don't see a chapter in your area, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and offer to create one.
3. Run for office: Too many Democrats - especially women - hold back from running for office. Many of our most talented activists are sitting on the sidelines. We need you in the arena. No one is going to come and ask you to run, so you have to find the courage - or just plain outrage - to step up to this challenge yourself. If George W. Bush can be President, then all of us are qualified. Express your interest to your local chapter of Democrats.com, and they will give you the support you need to run and win.
4. Call and write the media -- both nationally and in your area -- to demand that they give in-depth coverage to the Stolen Election. Demand the same relentless coverage for this unprecedented Republican scandal as was given to Whitewater, Impeachment, and Pardongate. Express your outrage!
5. (NOT ENDORSED BY THE BBBR) Help us build Democrats.com into the most powerful organization of Democratic activists. With your help, Democrats.com has emerged as the leader of the grassroots Democratic opposition to George W. Bush. We are the aggressive progressives who are willing to lead when our party leaders hesitate. Financially, we put everything we had into the post-election campaign in Florida and the fight against the Ashcroft nomination. We urgently need your financial support so we can reach more of the 51 million Americans who voted for Al Gore, the true President of the United States.
This is a tremendous opportunity to rebuild America's progressive coalition. Democratic leadership brought tremendous progress in civil rights, voting rights, the environment, women's rights, gay and lesbian rights, education, health care, economic progress, and a host of other urgent issues. Join us today as we renew our commitment to bring to power a new generation of progressive Democratic leadership.
Bob Fertik and David Lytel