Oh, good grief! Are we back to this again? Another head-case aspiring to high public office who thinks that there isn't a thing in the world wrong with poverty, injustice, sexism or racism, but has a big old vendetta against DANCING?
The short answer: Yes.
Now, I know what you are thinking… But, Diva, there really hasn't been any great new throw-down music since Guns 'n Roses…
Not true, not true… What about "One Step Closer" by Linkin Park? That's a real toe-tapper…
But I digress. The point is this: If we don't put down the fruitcake, and all our nifty new remote controls (to go with all our phat new electronic toys) and write some letters, we're going to end up with an Attorney General that makes the preacher-father in "Footloose" look like Dharma's dad! Where's Kevin Bacon when we need him?
Opposing the right to dance isn't even the worst of it. John Ashcroft, the El Doofus pick for Attorney General, is not the right guy for the job, just a guy on the far right who's looking for a job -- affirmative action for the awful, so to speak. He's the pathetic chimp/chump that lost to the late, great Mel Carnahan, and thus, Carnahan's widow, his Missouri U.S. Senate seat.
Let's review the laundry list of good reasons (other than his 17th-Century attitude toward my second favorite physical activity) as to why this loser mustn't be allowed to head The Justice Department. A quick TOP TEN:
1. Was (before he got his sorry butt kicked) one of the most conservative U.S. Senators.
2. Is totally anti-abortion. Utterly. Supports the overturn of Roe v. Wade.
3. Has never seen a civil rights bill he liked; has never voted for one. NOT A SINGLE ONE.
4. Headed the witch-hunt style obstruction of the confirmation of Bill Lann Lee to the post of Assistant Attorney General for the Civil Rights Division of the Justice Department. Why? Because Lee, whose credentials are fabulous, opposed Prop 209 in California (which ended affirmative action).
5. Wants to give federal funds (read: YOUR TAX DOLLARS) directly to religious institutions for outreach, but without any requirement that said outreach be non-proselytizing. In other words, we all pay so the religious right can prey -- on those in need of social welfare services traditionally provided by the state, and who'll have no choice but to be sermonized to.
6. Supports school prayer. No, not just students praying the prayer of their choice to the deity of their choice -- which is currently legal and constitutional, and has ALWAYS BEEN; but also supports government wienies (local or otherwise) sanctioning the prayer of ITS choice to the deity of ITS choice, with a captive audience of children forced to respectfully submit.
7. Supports school vouchers. Why stop at government-sanctioned school prayer? Why not just bleed the public schools dry with voucher programs? Voucher programs that funnel more tax dollars away from the public sector and into the parochial schools of the wealthiest groups on earth -- the churches? Lord save us from such a boneheaded idea!
8. Preaches that heroes of the Confederate States should not be thought of as having fought to "preserve a perverted agenda" -- slavery. Okay, help me out here… Slavery ISN'T a perverted agenda? Haven't we, as a nation, already REPUDIATED slavery? Did I miss something? For instance, maybe 135 years of history and social progress?
9. Rabidly anti-gay. Opposes gay rights, laws protecting gays from discrimination.
10. Pushed hard for Clinton's impeachment. 'Nuff said.
There's more, you know. Much more. There's the honorary degree from Bob Jones University (Y'all remember BJU, don't you? A little school that had a big problem with Catholics, and with interracial dating?), and the Ronnie White debacle (opposing a federal judgeship for a black guy with THE SAME RECORD as white guys he let sail through the appointment procedure).
I could go on all day. But you have some letters to write, right?
NEWS: ASHCROFT'S A D@#K: SEE, I TOLD YOU SONEXT: LETTERS FROM RESISTANCE FIGHTERS
NEWS: REALLY, I'M NOT KIDDING: A TOTAL D@#K!
ACTIVIST ALERT: OPPOSE ASHCROFT'S NOMINATION